History Rare Hitler documents: old newspaper articles from June 1945 reporting the Kannenbergs' memories of Hitler and Eva Braun

1Based Frog1

Arthur Kannenberg and his wife Frieda ran the Berghof for Hitler since 1935, as well as the Reich Chancellery. He is often referred to in Anglophone media as Hitler's "butler" when in fact he was more of a housekeeper. Hitler's Munich housekeeper, Anni Winter, told Captain Musmanno during her interrogation on the evening of March 30, 1948, that Kannenberg cooked for Hitler in Berlin, which is corroborated by what Volker Ulrich wrote in his recent biography of Hitler: "The director of household at the Reich Chancellery, Arthur Kannenberg, repeatedly complained about how difficult it was to cook for Hitler. 'You would not believe how careful we have to be’, he sighed. 'When my wife cooks his food, no one’s allowed to get within ten metres of the pots.’" (trans. Jefferson Chase, 2016, Hitler Volume I: Ascent, 1889-1939, p570).
The three newspaper articles reposted here were first uncovered and shared by an American researcher who blogged under the name putschgirl on tumblr and adolfhitler33 on wordpress. Both blogs are now defunct thanks to the usual culprits.

Take the claims contained herein with a pinch (or pillar) of salt, as the Lugenpresse was as unreliable then as it is now.

From the New York Herald-Tribune

Hitler Not Married to Eva Braun

June 1, 1945

NEW YORK

Hitler refused to marry his blonde mistress, Eva Braun, says Arthur Kannenberg. Kannenberg was Hitler’s butler at Berchtesgaden. He and his wife, Frieda, who was one of Hitler’s housekeepers, were recently captured.

Kannenberg told our Herald-Tribune correspondent that Hitler refused to marry Eva Braun because he was “spiritually wedded to the German people.”

Hitler took elaborate, but futile, precautions to keep his association with Eva Braun a secret from the German people.

Kannenburg added.

“Hitler loved Eva Braun with all the passion of an older man who seeks to find his youth again in someone young and beautiful,” Kannenberg said. “He was always faithful to her. He had every chance to have affairs with women, but he remained true to his ‘Evi.’ He spoke to her gently, as a father to his child, in a soft bubbling voice, calling her ‘My little Evi.’ She called him ‘Adolf’ or "Adi’ on occasions, but in front of us, it was always ‘der Chef’ or ‘der Fuehrer.’

"Frequently I turned off the electric lights at Berchtesgaden, lit candles, and played softly on my accordian for Hitler and his little Evi.”

Freida Kannenberg said Eva Braun had “natural light blonde hair, a finely-molded face, large blue eyes, a sporty and lovely figure and exceptionally beautiful legs.”

She added: “Hitler always insisted that Eva dress modestly and restrainedly but he did not always have his way. Eva loved elegance. She had several expensive coats, and used perfume. He strongly disapproved of that.’

Although Hitler would allow none of his henchmen to smoke near him, Eva was almost a chain-smoker. "Hitler drank nothing but water, and later during the war, a specially brewed low-alcohol content beer. But Eva drank champagne almost every night, to help her sleep,” said Frau Kannenberg.

“Eva always joined Hitler in his study when he called her to have a cup of herb tea or hot milk before he went to bed. But she drank champagne. The lovers had a carefree time at Berchtesgaden. They had snow fights in winter time and played table tennis on rainy afternoons. No one was allowed to photograph any of this, for Hitler thought this was not ‘Fuehrer’ behavior.

"Hitler wasn’t keen on these games. He thought them frivolous. But he played just the same because Eva wanted to.” Asked about Hitler’s friendship with the Hon. Unity Mitford-Freeman, daughter of Lord Redesdale, Frieda Kannenberg said: “Hitler was attracted by Unity, but he did not love her as he did Eva. Eva was his great love. Hitler never was intimate with Unity Mitford.”

When asked whether the Fuehrer was abnormal with women, Frau Kannenberg denied it.

"Hitler loved women and feminine beauty. Eva was a real beauty and it was obvious to us he adored her. They behaved very normally, though restrained. Physical displays of affection were to be avoided. However, the Fuehrer would sometimes feed her cake with his hands, stroke her arm and they held hands as a matter of course.“

Herr Kanneberg made similar denials of any abnormality.

"Hitler and Eva were a normal couple, but of course, had to hide that from outsiders. It was only in his close circle that they would be affectionate. I never saw them kiss or embrace, for that was reserved for behind closed doors. His eyes would light up when she walked into the room and there was never any question that Eva loved him with her whole heart.”

From the New York Post:

HITLER’S LOVE AFFAIR

HIS BUTLER TALKS

LONDON, June 11, 1945

A “Daily Express” correspondent in Germany quotes Hitler’s butler, Arthur Kannenberg, as saying that Hitler passionately and faithfully loved Fraulein Braun. There was nothing clever or unusually notable about Fraulein Braun, though she possessed a strange attraction. She had blonde hair, and her face- was rather beautiful.

“Hitler carefully kept his ‘Eva’ secret from the German people and visiting dignataries,” the butler said.

"Fraulein Braun’s age was secret, but I judged her to be about 32. She was seldom permitted to appear in Berlin til 1939. Then she went to the theatre or the opera many evenings, but never with Hitler, except in the very early days. She was nearly always accompanied by a younger sister, Gretl, who married General Fegelein, the liaison officer between Himmler and Hitler. The senior generals did not like the fact that Hitler was brother-in-law to one of Himmler’s aides.

“The only quarrels between Hitler and Braun were over drinking. Braun liked her whisky and champagne, and Hitler was a strong teetotaller. Braun had no fear of him, because she knew he loved her.”

12 June 1945 London Daily News, pages 1-2

Frieda Kannenberg says she first met Hitler in 1932, in Munich, and that she had been extremely impressed with him. She and her husband then came to the Obersalzberg two years later to assume the responsibility of the Fuehrer’s mountain home, the Berghof.

Frau Kannenberg met Eva Braun first in 1933 and said, “I got along with Eva because she spoke the Munich dialect. She was a normal, fun-loving girl who was only unhappy when separated from the man she loved.”

Eva was then very young and quite beautiful. Frau Kannenberg said that Hitler did everything he could to make Eva happy, but with his job as leader of the Reich, he had to absent himself a lot from her.

“I will tell you this,” said Kannenberg, “I want the world to know that Hitler was a completely normal man who sought peace in the arms of the woman he loved. He was abnormal only in that he disciplined that love. Hitler kept his ‘Evi’ secret from the German people and visiting celebrities. Everybody in Germany whispered about Hitler’s inner life as he worked hard to foster the belief that he was married to his country.”

In actuality, Frau Kannenberg said the Fuehrer and Eva lived together as man and wife. “He could never marry her, she had to accept that. But he gave her all the love he was capable of giving. Eva was very possessive of Hitler and missed him terribly when he was gone. She threw many parties and flirted with young men, but she never did anything wrong with these men. She was 100% devoted to Adolf Hitler.”

Frau Kannenberg confirmed that the couple had adjoining bedrooms and spent their evenings alone together. She claims they occasionally had arguments, such as when Hitler found her smoking and had a small fit, which lasted half of the afternoon. He also didn’t like her drinking whiskey and wanted to confine herself to champagne or sparking wines.

Hitler and Eva had a bantering relationship and he would tease her unmercifully.

“Hitler had a number of nicknames for her, many of them Austrian diminutives. He addressed her as Fräulein Braun to us, but when they were in a small circle, he called her by the names of Evi, Patscherl, Evchen, or sometimes Schnacksi, which is a slightly racy nickname.”

Eva herself addressed Hitler always as “Chef,” or formally as “Mein Führer.” Frau Kannenberg adds, “when they were alone, they often whispered, but because of the cavernous rooms of the Berghof, the acoustics were extraordinary. Often I could hear their conversations, even when whispering. Eva called the Führer by "Adolf” or sometimes “Adi.”

The couple were not physically demonstrative. “The most Hitler would do is hold her hand, or stoke her arm. He patted women’s hands, as he did mine, but the only woman he held hands with was his little Evi.”

Herr Kannenberg was an exceptional musician and would entertain Hitler and Eva with his accordion.

“Hitler liked to whistle the tune, ‘Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?’ He also loved American movies. Before the war, he loved Shirley Temple and Jeannette MacDonald. He and Eva would also play rummy, a game that Eva taught him. On occasions, he would play table tennis with Eva and she allowed him to win.”

With this one posted I have about two more interviews left to repost which will mark the end for the Hitler interview saga.

Back